Kristina A's Reviews > The Remains of the Day

The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro

Aug 30, 07

Read in August, 2007

This lovely novel is short but not slight. Ishiguru's style is impeccable, delicate, and precise. He perfectly captures the voice of an unreliable narrator who would really rather not tell you anything at all. I adore the way Stevens talks around every topic, circling around it with apparent confusion before admitting -- even as he continues to deny it -- what he really feels about something.

One of my favorite things about the novel is how excruciating Stevens's inability to communicate and his dedication to hiding his emotions for the sake of professionalism are. Although it's not a comedy, it actually had a similar effect on me that some of my favorite comedies, "The Office" and "Extras," do. That is, I kept cringing at the way Stevens would say something terribly hurtful or simply inadequate for the situation because he is completely unable to express his feelings. I actually had to put the book down occasionally because it was so painful! That's good writing. The only reason this isn't a 5 star is because of my commitment to reserving 5 stars for only my very favorites (we'll see how long that lasts).

Well folks, this will probably be my last review for a while, since school is starting and I'm going to start a long novel next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Remains of the Day.