Ellie's Reviews > Them: Adventures with Extremists

Them by Jon Ronson

Feb 15, 2012

Read in January, 2012

I bought this for my holidays - with my usual practice of going away and buying something in a totally different genre from that which I normally read. I picked up this in the airport. The blurb on the back said is was political, amusing and in the vein of Louis Theroux, and mentioned this was the author of 'Men who stare at goats'.

I found the first chapter alone amusing, and enlightening and the extremist - Omar Bakri - who was the focus of the first chapter alone was at turns fascinating and ridiculous, dangerous and pathetic. Ronson writes well and takes a different route to peel the onion of extremists and their beliefs and practices. This extremist is amusing but also slighly worrying for the people he inspired.

He goes on to spend time with David Icke, Dr Ian Paisley, and a strangely paranoid gentleman who runs an internet paper focused on the Bilderberg Group and their actions and meetings.

The central question of his journey was to discover if, as is asserted by many conspiracy theorists, the world is run not by governments and democracy but by a small group of heavyweight and rich people belonging to the Bilderberg Group. This group is also variously known as the Illuminati, the Zionist Cabal, and so on.

Ronson bring humour and some searching questions to the investigation of these 'conspiracy' theorists which has led me to look to order his other books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Them.