Darren Vincent's Reviews > Hybrids

M_50x66
Mar 19, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read from February 15 to March 15, 2012

An incredible read...personally disappointing.

As a conclusion to the trilogy, the book was incredible. Once again, it is a book (and series) that makes you think about the world you live in and the consequences of our actions. The author does a wonderful job of balancing multiple plots & subplots and revisiting them at just the perfect time and at just the perfect order to keep them active, relevant and interesting. His commentary on society is very aware and acute and whether I agree or not, it is good the see the other view.

As far as the personally disappointing, well, I should have seen it coming. There were seeds in the first two books about the authors feelings about religion for me to have seen the writing on the wall, but I thought that maybe, just maybe, he would flip it at the last second and make a worthy statement, something deep. Instead, in the coldest fashion I might have ever seen in fiction, Sawyer decides that science trumps faith and that we, the readers who value religion, are blind sheep. The main characters then ride off into the most liberal sunset ever created on paper. If there had been some ambiguity in his statement, giving those who feel differently than the author something to latch onto about how faith is even stronger in the absence of proof, I might could have gotten on board. I don't mind an author having different views than myself, and I don't even mind that he uses the written word to put them forth. But I guess I like my authors to at least not play to one side only. Show the other side and don't demean or belittle the other side by implying that they are following a fruitless path.

So why four stars even still? Because the author is a genius in my opinion. His books are smart and engaging, well paced and well thought out. They play in a different ballpark than the other science fiction books that I read. The man can certainly tell a unique story and this is certainly a very unique story, just one that ended differently than I had hoped.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hybrids.