Fred's Reviews > The Stillburrow Crush

The Stillburrow Crush by Linda Kage

Feb 17, 12

Recommended to Fred by: Halyna Hurdish
Read from February 15 to 17, 2012

Carrie Paxton has got a mouth on her, that's for sure. The size of her snark is rivalled only by that of the chip on her shoulder about her family's status in her little Kansas townn. Her dad's the town mechanic (I think she seriously calls him a grease monkey at one point), who married an upper-cruster when she got pregnant back in high school. Mom's never really gotten over that, and her sense of shame (and over-compensating perfectionism) has been passed down to her two children. So Carrie's pretty suspicious when the handsome qb of the football team seems to actually reciprocate her crush. She deals with that by some major pre-emptive bitchiness, and honestly I found her pretty hard to like for the first half of the book. It wasn't just how mean she talked, she seemed pretty doggone self-centered, too. But books are about redemption and growth (at least this one is), and in the second half, Carrie, and the author really come through. I honestly read this looking for a fluff break after some intense reading experiences, but it turns out to be pretty darn poignant, with themes of family, growing into emotional maturity and self acceptance taking the forefront. The book is artfully structured, with secrets and issues revealing themselves and unfolding in an emotionally satisfying and moving way that had me going "Oh! Now I get it," at some crucial points. It's got a small town feel and vibe to it, and it's not a gigantic big overwhelming emotional assault. It's a quiet one that sneaks up on you, but still packs an emotional wallop. Don't let the title fool you or put you off, this is a lovely and thoughtful book, with funny and tender elements.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stillburrow Crush.

02/15/2012 page 25
12.0% "Cute, but she does have a mean tongue on her!"
02/16/2012 page 101
50.0% "I know this is about redemption (at least I hope so), but we're halfway there, and she's getting more selfish, meaner and bitchier. Better shape up!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Fred This was a good book, Halyna, thanks for letting me know about it! I think it's underappreciated, hope more people find it!

Halyna People think, that it's all about jocks, and make up their minds! Glad you liked it!!!

Fred Yes, I think it could have been marketed better, but you never can tell what will catch people's fancy. I liked it a lot better than Catching Jordan, which everyone seemed to love, so what do I know, right?

Halyna Catching Jordan is just not your type of book - that's all, it happens :-)

Fred Yeah, I didn't mean to say CJ was a bad book, it was fun, just not for me. For such a sporty cover photo, there was pretty much no sports in this one. Interesting.

Halyna Ha, covers are often deceptive!

Fred Hence the saying, I guess. Are you familiar with that one?

Halyna Yes, I guess. Appearances are deceptive, right?

Fred Well, that's the idea, we have an "old saying," "you can't judge a book by it's cover," and that's what it means. Usually said of a person who either looks pretty but isn't nice, or just the opposite, is nice but doesn't look so great.

Halyna Yep. I know that saying.:-)

message 11: by Fred (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fred I should have known you would, hope you don't mind me sounding like a know-it-all! Hope you have a great weekend! I started reading Welcome, Caller, This Is Chloe, so far so good!

Halyna I appreciate all your information and don't mind! :-) I hope your book will be interesting! I read The Sweet Gum Tree - great book, I'm going to recommend it to you!

message 13: by Fred (new) - rated it 4 stars