Margaret Fisk's Reviews > The Strange Case of Finley Jayne

The Strange Case of Finley Jayne by Kady Cross

Feb 15, 12

I picked up this novella as a freebie introduction to a Harlequin Teen Steampunk series because I was curious about the line and enjoy Steampunk. I was in no way disappointed.

Finley is an engaging character with unexplained differences that I suspect relate to her mysterious father but are not resolved in the novella. These differences cause her nothing but trouble until she is approached by Lady Morton who, rather than being appalled by Finley’s abilities, wants to employ Finley because of her tendency to defend those in need even to the point of violence.

Finley finds her companion Phoebe to be delightful, and they quickly form a bond. However, Finley soon detects that all is not right with Phoebe’s engagement to a much older man, but even she cannot imagine the real circumstances.

It’s a fun, historical Steampunk with friendships won in the oddest places, and Finley comes to a better understanding of herself and her abilities. Still, there’s a good bit that leads to a bigger story and the ending opens up a new adventure to come. I enjoyed this one enough to seek out the others, and if you like Steampunk, it may very well be worth your while to give this one a try.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Strange Case of Finley Jayne.