Paloma's Reviews > Another Roadside Attraction

Another Roadside Attraction by Tom Robbins

Feb 16, 12

did not like it
Read in February, 2012

This book is all over the place, simply put. I could probably not tell you what it was about even if I were on the strongest of hallucinogenic drugs that it probably took to write this book. Sorry Tom Robbins, but I personally prefer books in which I can actually understand what’s going on.

This book follows a reckless, sexually loose girl named Amanda and her husband, as they open a roadside stand and meet many eccentric characters along the way as they discover many of life’s lessons. Don’t be fooled, this book is not as quirky or holistic as it sounds. Along the way, they meet a friend who was sent by the government to find out what the young generation is all about. That is practically all I can deduce from this book. The diction, for one is random as hell, for lack of a better term, Robbins cannot seem to stay on one subject for more than a paragraph before he wanders on to talking about a girl’s pet talking bear, monks, and Volkswagens (yes, all in the same book). This book gives the entire 1970’s a bad name; I feel like my grandmother by thinking that all of these people were on drugs and crazy solely based upon this book was written.

Maybe if you have an intense spinal surgery and are given daily doses or morphine, heck maybe if you drink codeine like grape juice and snort Benadryl on a daily basis, then maybe, just maybe you’ll enjoy this book. But please, for the sake of making good use of your life, don’t waste your time reading this book. I truly wish I had those two weeks of my life back. Seriously, if you want a spiritual revelation, go to a temple or something, just don’t read this book.
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Another Roadside Attraction.

Adam Although I don't agree with you, I really love your review.

Jesse Wheeler Try harder drugs, Paloma. Live a little more.

message 3: by Cheryldee (new)

Cheryldee Huddleston Interesting--as a writer, and a reader, I never think too much about what something is "about" -- I just like to experience the thing -- and this novel for me ... was an experience ... also detecting some moral judgment of Amanda that may get in the way of experiencing the novel's brilliance.