S.j.reads's Reviews > Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo Willems

U_50x66
Oct 03, 12

Read in February, 2012, read count: 20

My kids have told me about the blue Pigeon books, but I'd never read one until today. Why did I wait?! The story is engaging and interactive. I liked the interactivity of this book better than that of the Dora The Explorer type as it encouraged the children to practice using their moral compass rather than just to follow directions. Right away, the reader identifies what is right and what is wrong. The Pigeon tries to manipulate the reader into letting him do what is wrong. I read this aloud to one of my girls and she was willing to let the pigeon drive the bus when he offered her some money.

The drawings are so crude that they're adorable. I really enjoyed seeing the frustration the pigeon experienced as he was constantly denied. I also like how this book can and does appeal to both girl and boy readers.

My only complaint is that I thought the red vehicle at the end was going to be a fire engine and so did my little reader. Finding out it was a big-rig was just a little bit disappointing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!.