Jessi's Reviews > Frost Moon

Frost Moon by Anthony Francis

Feb 16, 2012

bookshelves: witches-magic, shifters-werewolves, vampires
Read from February 15 to 16, 2012

Dakota Frost is a magical tattoo artist - the best in the Southeast. She's also a Skindancer. As it turns out, the fame can hold its disadvantages. Someone has been carving the magical tattoos from bodies for years now, and Dakota finds herself in the middle of the investigation. And even worse, a target.

It took me a little bit to really get into this book, but after the first 50 pages I was hooked. Mr. Francis tells a unique and exciting story. We are transported into an "alternate Atlanta" where Edgeworlders don't hide in the shadows. Witches openly practice their magic and vampires are in charge of public relations.

We get to know a whole band of misfits - from vampires and weres, to magicians and ancient gods. The story is told from Dakota's point of view. She's a sassy six foot two chick covered in magical tattoos. At times, her ability to always find trouble reminded me of Sookie Stackhouse and got a little old. But in the end, I loved her character, and if she were real I'd be next in line to get one of her materpieces tattooed onto my skin. Like Dakota, Mr. Francis does an excellent job of making all of the characters unique and enjoyable. Even Spleen, the loyal sidekick with his yellowed eye and his rat-like features.

The best part of all is that this story is really a who-done-it with magical elements. It has me guessing until the very end. I honestly had no idea who was behind the distrubing tattoo snatching, and when it was revealed I has the typical "ohhhh that makes sense" moment.

All in all, a great story. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes mysteries or fantasy books.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frost Moon.

02/15/2012 page 14
02/15/2012 page 60
21.0% "I'm having a hard time getting into this one so far..."
02/15/2012 page 100
35.0% "I'm starting to really get into the story now. Very unique and I love that it's a supernatural mystery."
show 1 hidden update…