Aubrey's Reviews > I Know Who You Are and I Saw What You Did: Social Networks and the Death of Privacy

I Know Who You Are and I Saw What You Did by Lori Andrews

Mar 18, 12

Recommended for: All Internet Users
Read from March 16 to 18, 2012

If you use the internet then this book is a must read. If you are a member of Facebook then this is an absolute must read. If you still won't read it then maybe my review will give you a glimpse of what you should know.

The truth can be scary and most people rather treat the truth as "out of sight out of mind" and not take the time to be informed. But this book proves the repercussions of such a thought process. This book is also the epitome of why I deleted my Facebook account some time back and why I'm wondering if my coming back on was a wise choice. It is also why I came back with a new approach and don't share as many photos or personal status updates and why I leave that for Google+. It is why I spend more time on Google+ than Facebook, for they are VERY different regarding privacy.

Honestly this book could have been titled Facebook and the Death of Privacy and for just cause. It addresses privacy in all senses of the word, with mentioning of MySpace, Spokeo, Twitter, and numerous photo sharing websites, such as Photobucket. Google is mentioned briefly for its issues with Google Buzz but when Google+ is mentioned in the book it is mentioned for it's stellar, explicit and user friendly privacy settings and abilities. In fact there is a current movement from Google+ users to get people to delete their Facebook accounts in order to protect their privacy more.

Privacy is not just about the settings, but that is certainly where it begins. This book gave an excellent display of Facebook's privacy policies over the years, as it went on, and how the users' privacy faded, the privacy policies got longer, got more difficult to understand and now users have to go to more than one place to "control" their privacy settings. Heck even Zuckerberg had to read the privacy policy aloud at one point and had trouble interpreting certain parts.

It is about instances when Facebook blatantly shows how little they care about user's privacy. Such as when Facebook changed all settings a while back to public and every Facebook user had to go in and edit the settings again. Many of the cases in this book were involving that decision because people's information was made public which caused many problems.

But it goes beyond privacy settings. Because you can have your profile set to "private" and it doesn't really mean jack squat because your information is being sold left and right. It's being sold to marketers for the ads that you see on the side tailored to you. It's being sold to places like Spokeo, who then go and compile information about you and sell it to businesses who make decisions on whether to hire you.

Yet people are so trusting of the websites. One thing I never understood was this new trend of posting where you are and checking in to places. I used to tell people that telling people where you are is also telling them that you are not home, which invites robbers to loot your house. Well low and behold I was not wrong, as I got to a part in the book that talks about a string of 50 robberies that occurred because the robber read those check in statuses or just statuses saying that you are "at the movies." And what people don't know is that it doesn't matter if your setting is private or public because for a certain amount of money it can be in the hands of anyone. And how do they get your address. Even I can look up someones address. It need not matter if it's on your Facebook page or not. So I'd seriously consider posting where you are. Plus, why? Why this urgent need to post where you are in that moment.

I also learned how even the little things, that seem harmless, can fall into harms hands. Such as a regular old profile picture. I learned how little our constitution protects our rights and that there really does need to be a constitution that protects us in the current century.

I learned, yet again, how cruel people are with things like cyber bullying and cops who take pictures of teenager who was killed in a car accident and decapitated and sending a picture of her decapitated head to her parents and then creating a Facebook page of her with that image as her profile image. Then not receiving any form of punishment.

Oh and one thing that many people do, which is not protected, is complain about work. I don't know how many cases I read in this book about people who complain about their work (without naming where they work or who upset them) and it's coming back to bite them because it "gave the business a bad name." And this was applicable for private, public, government, and corporate jobs. I have friends who all they do is complain about work and they don't realize that their "freedom of speech" is not protected there and that they could lose their job.

Granted this book is not an "entertaining" non-fiction read but it is very legal and packed with cases and thus very informative. I think it should be read by many.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Know Who You Are and I Saw What You Did.

03/17/2012 page 91

message 1: by Licha (new)

Licha Aubrey, I don't even use Facebook, but this is scary stuff and makes me want to inform myself so I can inform the people that I know, especially the young kids.

Aubrey It really is but this book goes farther than Facebook; it's just that Facebook tends to be at the front of the problem regarding privacy. I did use Facebook but 7 months back I deleted my account because I was fed up with Facebook's ways. Then after five months off I created a new account and went back on for a few reasons. Then I read this book and it was enough to say that I'm done for good, and so I deleted my account after reading this book and will not look back. I cannot support such a company and will still contact the people I care about without it.

message 3: by Licha (new)

Licha I can see why many people may use Facebook, but IMO Facebook does more bad than good. Technology.

Aubrey I agree. I'm not at all means anti-technology or I wouldn't be on Goodreads but I agree that it does more bad then good.