Fallon's Reviews > The Shadow Reader

The Shadow Reader by Sandy Williams

Feb 26, 12

bookshelves: fae, kindle, series, paranormal, pnr
Read from February 15 to 16, 2012

I quite enjoyed this book, mostly, it was very entertaining, though the beginning was a tiny bit confusing. We start out pretty much in the thick of things, there’s no half a book explaining how we got to the conflict we start with, it’s just WHAM and McKenzie’s running for her life and being kidnapped by Aren, and she’s obviously smitten with Kyol. This does involve fae, but it’s not the same as all the other fae stories, there’s no summer or winter courts, it’s a slightly more modern fae world and of course humanity is seemingly destroying the fae. So, it’s cool how we learn about this world as we go, and there’s not a lot of dull scenes. The world building and the pacing were done fantastically!

McKenzie’s not a weakling, she’s a tough chick, though she doesn’t have training in protecting herself, she’s very determined to do whatever it is she feels is right and she’ll bleed to get it done, and not whine about it. That’s what I like about McKenzie, she’s not a whiner, so many heroines cry and whine ALL the time and this one doesn’t (refreshing). However, McKenzie’s interests are fickle, slightly, though she trys really hard not to be. We, the reader, don’t have all the time she spent with Kyol, so it’s hard at first to understand the awe that McKenzie has for him, though Aren is the attractive rogue that we all get Stockholm Syndrome for. The romance aspect was a little stretched in this story, and it felt very young adult, I don’t think this is considered YA, but it sure does have that feel to it.

It’s definitely worth picking up though, and I can’t wait till number 2 comes out.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shadow Reader.

Quotes Fallon Liked

Sandy Williams
“No. No way. I don't love Aren. I can't because, damn it, I'm not one of those girls, the ones who have two men chasing after them but can't make up their minds who to choose. If you can’t decide who you love more, you don’t love either of them enough.”
Sandy Williams, The Shadow Reader