Caeseria's Reviews > At the Mercy of the Queen

At the Mercy of the Queen by Anne Clinard Barnhill

Feb 15, 12

bookshelves: historical, abandoned
Read in February, 2012

When I first picked this up the glowing reviews made it sound very interesting. How wrong I was! I was bored within the first few chapters and it was hard work to keep going. The characters are very one dimensional with no motivation, other than to showcase the story of Anne Boleyn. Speech has been taken word-for-word from historical documents which got old very quickly. I'm not sure the author has actually read any modern reference books on the subject; her views are very much the typical Victorian view on Henry VIII and his court.

I could probably forgive all that if the author hadn't started using fanfiction epithets like "orbs" for eyes, it was very jarring and threw me out of the story because I was laughing so hard. (For instance I didn't expect to find "Madge looked into Anne's brown-black orbs.")

I hate to put something down so hard, but really if you are going to read this, borrow it from the library and do not waste your money on it.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read At the Mercy of the Queen.