Therese's Reviews > The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We do in Life and Business

The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg

Apr 03, 2012

bookshelves: giveaway
Read from February 28 to March 02, 2012

I was given this book through First Reads giveaways, and really really!!! recommend reading the insights and research presented.
In a straight-forward and very self-awakening way this book does not just define an individual's habits and how they are constructed; but develops the reader's perspective on the habits of groups, organizations, companies, communities and society. The author describes how these group habits have implications and an impact on every individual's habitual behaviors, and the societal impact of the individual's habitual behaviors.
The author describes how habits form the majority of our behaviors; they are an automated reaction, and likely increasingly are how we are able to function in our ever more complex world.
Habits are documented and used by industry and organizations: what we buy; what we are likely to buy; where we live; everything we do. They are predictively analyzed and the information used to infiltrate our established habitual behavior. The author uses actual life and historical examples to illustrate the ideas and information presented.
The author concludes by pointing out that becoming aware of your habits, and the personal rewards that you crave that start and maintain habit loops; you have the power and the freedom to change a habit if you so choose. Understanding gives you the choice to change, and the responsibility to choose to change.
I think reading this book itself is in itself a choice to break a habit loop; the one of not consciously thinking about what we do so automatically.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Power of Habit.