MB Mulhall's Reviews > Open Heart

Open Heart by Emlyn Chand

May 28, 12

bookshelves: to-read
Read in May, 2012

Open Heart was a bit of a departure from Farsighted as it gave more insight into the character rather than focusing on the powers they possess. That's not to say their abilities didn't play a big role in the story, because they did, but you definitely learned more about Simmi than I feel you learned about Alex.

It's a good look into a teen's whirling emotional state. Simmi battles with an eating disorder and feelings of inadequacy and self-loathing. She's written as very human and certainly relatable, at least to me.

All your other favorites return from Farsighted and we're introduced to a few new ones as well. Some you will probably come to love and others you'll love to hate. I look forward to seeing where the story goes in the future books.

My one issue is that nothing was resolved with Simmi's disorder. Not that such things can be fixed in a short period of time, but it was still ongoing and the only person who knows what's going on wasn't doing anything to help. I hope it will be resolved or at least addressed in future books.

Another suggestion: there is a lot about Indian culture worked in between pop culture, foods, clothing, phrases, etc. I enjoy that a lot, but it might be nice to have a little glossary in the back people could refer to if they were unsure of what something meant through context clues. Just an idea.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Open Heart.