Bill's Reviews > Onward: How Starbucks Fought for Its Life without Losing Its Soul

Onward by Howard Schultz

Feb 15, 12

Read in January, 2012

Onward was recommended by a student who spent his last semester of high-school doing field work related to customer service and the customer experience. He was very excited about the book, and I'm glad to have read it. My primary interests were the topics related to customer service. I also found the messages about how the treatment of staff relates to customer service interesting. Even though I'm not a coffee addict and my feelings about Starbucks as a place to shop are pretty neutral, I did find Schultz's stories about the companies ups and downs interesting. He did seem a little full of himself at times, but I suppose that is not uncommon among CEOs of large companies. Also, the book did make me think about the differences between the founding chief executive of an organization and one who is hired after the institution exists.

After reading the stories and details related to espresso, I do have desire to get a Starbucks espresso and see how the experience compares to Schultz's stories even though I rarely drink espresso.

Note to D-E folks: Onward is on the MS/US library collection.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Onward.