Kim's Reviews > Imago

Imago by Octavia E. Butler

Dec 05, 2008

it was ok
Read in December, 2008 , read count: 2

** spoiler alert ** In some ways this is my least favorite of the Xenogenesis Series. While I liked the character of Jodahs and its unique ability to shape-shift, this story seemed incomplete somehow and forced. More than once, the narrator expressed the thought, "This plan should have worked, but....". Once in a story, fine. Twice, maybe. More than that? Best laid plans of mice and men, I know, but still.
The Oankali and the ooloi in specific are presented as almost infallible in their ability to read and understand humans, to maneuver in the environment, etc., yet Jodahs and his group were spotted by guards what were later described as "lax", and Aaor's group were caught because of its inability to control Santos, yet it was able to seduce Pax and Javier without batting an eye it seemed.
And let's talk about Aaor for a moment. At least once in the series, maybe even this book, though it might have been Adulthood Rites, an ooloi assured its mates that it was them specifically it desired/loved/needed. But Aaor was so desperate it latched onto the first humans it encountered.
Dawn is probably my all-time favorite book, so maybe the problem is that nothing can live up to that, but I was disappointed in this book in many ways.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Imago.