Brenda's Reviews > The Wizard of Dark Street

The Wizard of Dark Street by Shawn Thomas Odyssey

Feb 28, 12

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from February 26 to 28, 2012

The cover to Shawn Thomas Odyssey's The Wizard of Dark Street promises a gothic, but comic story. As I read, I imagined a cast of character actors, the likes of Jim Carey and Sacha Baron Cohen, in key roles. Indeed, the short novel could very well mark the beginning of a Lemony Snicketty series.

While neither the plot nor the magical paraphernalia, created for the Dark Street environs,are nearly as involved or as original as J.K. Rowling's Hogwartian realm, I do think that young readers of her genre will find Odyssey's interstitial realm between faerie and New York City to be well worth exploring.

Like so many other worlds invented as backdrops for young wizardry, the Dark Street community seems slightly derivative. But, I do think Oona and other characters are likeable enough to deserve sequels that should appeal to children who appreciate the fantasies of Lemony Snickett, Jenny Nimmo, Tony DeTerlizzi and Holly Black.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wizard of Dark Street.