Caroline's Reviews > Death Note, Vol. 1: Boredom

Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi Ohba

Jul 20, 08

bookshelves: read-in-2008, manga
Read in July, 2008

There's a lot of hype surrounding the Death Note series, especially since Adult Swim started airing the anime adaptation of it. I'm always a bit reluctant to join in on the crazes like this, but figured I'd give it a shot when my husband was really enjoying the twists and turns of the anime.

I was really happy with how well-done the story is so far! It really sucked me right in and the protagonist, Light Yagami is pretty interesting to watch. Definitely enjoying this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death Note, Vol. 1.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Noran Miss Pumkin My copy just arrive and is awaiting me this week sometime. I picked this and Emma for the summer to trial for now, with Fruits Basket and my other couple ones that come out once in a while. I got a few one dollar books at the comic con in chicago to browse through, I would never spend full price on normally also. One title i adored, but found out--it never made it passed volume one! I hate that! I found a new Manga i want to try out, but only volume one is out, so I am awainting at least volume two--before i buy. It is the coffin Kuro one I posted about recently. I like odd ones now and then. It has a cute factor too. I need that now and then. I tried monsters, but oh my did that rattle me in volume one. The storyline I mean. The drawing was good and I liked it was set in Germany, but WOW what a nightmare! I guess i might pick up volume two this year too.

Caroline I get a lot of the graphic novel titles from my library system--we have a really amazing county library that will ship items between branches for you, and they have such a crazy assortment of titles it's great! I used to buy a lot more liberally, but alas I have a mortgage to pay and food to buy so only so much of my funds can go to books.

I also try to wait on jumping into series until they've progressed. Back before the manga movement was so huge, I was slowly collecting Ranma 1/2. They would publish only 2 volumes of it every year, and it was really frustrating because it was a 36-volume series and at the rate they were going it was going to take 18 years to publish the whole thing! Luckily, things sped up as manga got to be so ragingly popular in America that they started publishing them faster.

Anyway, I hope you also enjoy Death Note! It's a very dark story, but it does have a bit of comic relief.