Tasha's Reviews > Women

Women by Charles Bukowski

Apr 10, 12

Read from February 16 to March 10, 2012

It was funny reading this book for a second time. First time round I remember being charmed by Bukowski's brutal candor; I thought the prose was edgy and fresh. Fifteen years later the prose have lost none of their freshness but I found it a lot harder to make allowances for the protagonist and the way he treats women. I realize with Bukowski it's all about the writing and he's convincing from first word to last dot; he's so good that at times I wanted to reach in through the pages and smack Henry in the eye with a hot poker. To use another cliche - forgive me- he really got my goat. But that's the point.

Certain lines stand out. At one point he's talking about writing. For him it's best to work in bouts. He's a binge writer. He believes there is no point writing every day simply to adhere to discipline, much better to work when it flows. After all, he says, 'anyone can type.' Henry makes an effort to redeem himself at the end of the story and shows himself as a battered hopeless romantic as well as a broken, selfish, drunk but one you can help but like .... even if you do also want to cause him physical harm. As ever, rock and roll prose from Bukowski.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Women.