Magila's Reviews > Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos

Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos by R.L. LaFevers

Mar 17, 12

bookshelves: favorites, ya-middle-readers, middle-reader
Read from March 02 to 16, 2012

Just short of a 5. The author developed an extremely interesting voice in telling this story, that of a turn of the 20th century British-American girl full of wit. Egyptian lore is real, World War 1 is on, and other evil is afoot. This book puts the new Rick Riordan Egypt series to shame.

The main character, Theodosia could very well be Artemis Fowl's girlfriend. They would get along swimmingly. She is bright and full of life, and seems to be one step ahead of those around her. It was so much fun observing how she speaks, the added explanatory dialogue was fun and not at all grating, and the most similarly entertaining writing style I can point out is that of "Heck."

There was just a little something that I cannot put my finger on that I felt the book was missing. I would strongly recommend it to girls (of middle school age) in search of a book with a strong female lead, and fans of the aforementioned Artemis Fowl and Heck series, as well as maybe the Bartimaeus chapters from the Bartimaeus series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos.