G (galen)'s Reviews > Paradise Lost

Paradise Lost by J.A. Jance

Aug 05, 08

bookshelves: feminist, fiction
Read in August, 2008

I vote for sheriff Joanna Brady! She rocks!

I really don’t read a whole lot of murder mysteries (I guess I prefer story lines where the epic struggle is to try to prevent/survive disaster rather than try to find the bad guy after the fact) but I would guess that J.A. Jance’s writing is well regarded within the genre. The tale was gripping and complex and compelling. But mostly I just LOVED Joanna Brady! I know this is but one of many Joanna Brady books by Jance, but it was MY first introduction to her, and the opening scene where she has just cleaned everyone out at a cutthroat poker game with fellow members of the Arizona Sheriff’s Association almost brought tears to my eyes!
This reaction is probably colored by the fact that I am revisiting Twilight and Joanna’s amazing yet believable competence has been SUCH a huge relief, such a breath of fresh air as I find myself more and more disgusted by Belle’s chronic damsel-in-distress helplessness. Phew!

(By the way, it’s always nice to read a novel set in one’s home state!)

Okay… now I better go find a copy of Milton’s Paradise Lost, just to round out my reading.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paradise Lost.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

xJane lol! want my copy...?

G (galen) I should! all the copies at the library are on hold (must be a good one!)

xJane wow...that's impressive! Where are ya? (I'm in CA)...do you have my email?

G (galen) I'm in AZ... no I don't think I have your email.
mine's galendara at gmail dot com

xJane glad you enjoyed it! I'm going up to my mom's soon and could prolly score you a few more if you're interested...although they all end up reading the same after awhile. She really is a great feminist icon, which I probably what kept me reading it even after I fell out of love with the genre.

too bad about Twilight. I just ordered it from the library and was hoping to enjoy it (I'm a sucker *tee hee* for vampires)

message 6: by G (galen) (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:15AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

G (galen) I really did enjoy Twilight the first time through, it is a fun read and the vampires are TO DIE for (heh heh) And it is still being entertaining this time as well. Just a sharp contrast to Paradise Lost, that's all. It took me till the third book to get fed up with Belle. But I still have the newly released 4th book on my desk waiting for me to devour (Breaking Dawn)

And btw, thankyou so much for this loner, it was a blast!
I'll get the rest of them through the library, but thanks for the offer!