Laurel's Reviews > Bel Canto

Bel Canto by Ann Patchett

Sep 24, 08

bookshelves: set-aside-for-now
Read in September, 2008

Sorry, Libs. I'm just not in the mood for this (or anything I've been reading lately). I think if hadn't have put this down for a more beachy book when I started it, I would have read it the whole way through. As it is, however, I just can't get back into it. The writing is wonderful but I'm having trouble with the pacing I suppose. Or maybe I'm just dumb or easily bored. Either way, I may try to pick it up again sometime, or at least try some of her other books....

That said, I think I agree with your initial reactions. Maybe I should listen to it instead!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bel Canto.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Libby I can't wait to hear what you think of this. How far into it are you?

Libby I don't have enough patience to wait until you post a review... are you liking this? Any thoughts? I had such a complicated response to this novel--one that changed pretty dramatically over time--that I'm dying to know what your reading experience is like thus far.

message 3: by Laurel (new) - added it

Laurel Weeeeeellll....I started it hoping it would be fun to read on the beach and it was a bit slow for what I wanted at the time. I really love the premise and I am going to pick it up again, I promise, I just got these other books from the library and have to read them first!

Should I plunge forward even though it wasn't totally grabbing me? There is a big payoff, isn't there?

Libby How far into this novel are you? I would say that this is not a novel to read hoping for "a big pay-off." It's definitely a book that is ultimately about the pleasures of language, deft characterization, and moving--but slow--ruminations on love in its many forms. I think it is an incredible achievement, but it deserves a sustained and steady reading. What I mean is, it isn't a page turner, but if you read 20 to 50 pages of it a day and finish it within a week or so without taking a break I think you will find it absolutely worth it. I listened to it, which takes A LOT longer, and I'm not sure at what page number I found myself totally sucked in, but I'm guessing it was somewhere around page 100 or maybe a bit earlier. Don't read my review yet, though, because it contains dread spoilers.

message 5: by Laurel (new) - added it

Laurel Okay, I will pick it up again, and soon. I did really like the characters, and such an unusual and interesting plot. I will give it another slow go!