Kat Kennedy's Reviews > Shadowfell

Shadowfell by Juliet Marillier

Jul 22, 12

bookshelves: australian-writer, fun-fantasy, kat-s-book-reviews, the-great-shelf-of-meh, to-ya-or-not-to-ya
Read from June 24 to July 16, 2012

There is some­thing inef­fa­bly mag­i­cal about Marillier’s nov­els. There are pre­cious few authors, in my opin­ion, who cre­ate as earnest a fan­tasy envi­ron­ment replete with mys­ti­cism and magic as Mar­il­lier does.

I feel a lit­tle embar­rassed and ashamed. I was des­per­ate for this book. After lov­ing Wild­wood Danc­ing and Heart’s Blood with a fiery pas­sion, I was sure I’d adore this one too.

The first thing that you should know about Shad­owfell is that it’s not as much the same ilk as Wild­wood Danc­ing and Heart’s Blood. It’s closer to her Daugh­ter of the For­est series in tone and story telling though less adult. The sec­ond thing you should know is that the pace and story telling of this novel is even slower than that of Daugh­ter of the For­est. If you’re not famil­iar with Marillier’s prior work then you will need to con­sider where the aspects of Lord of the Rings series in which Sam and Frodo were walk­ing to Mor­dor were some­thing you enjoyed as a reader. If they weren’t then I would highly advise you give this a skip. In fact, if you’re not a fan of walk­ing in gen­eral then give this book a skip – there was a lot of damn walk­ing in this book. A LOT.

Whilst the prose and char­ac­ters and sus­pense made up for a lot of the stag­na­tion in plot – it didn’t always feel enough to carry the novel enough for me to give it four stars. Neryn’s char­ac­ter in par­tic­u­lar gave me great pause. Marillier’s female pro­tag­o­nists are often strong, capa­ble, wise and dig­ni­fied. That’s just the way she writes them and I love her for that. But Neryn lacked the spark of per­son­al­ity, of sub­stance that I usu­ally enjoy. She has no real flaws – unless you count not being able to trust a man who she has no rea­son to trust (I call that com­mon sense). Per­haps she has a whole breadth of char­ac­ter that we haven’t seen yet. I don’t know. This novel doesn’t afford her to show much since she lives in a con­stant state of sur­vival mode.

Over all, I would still pick this novel up over a whole host of nov­els, but for a Mar­il­lier novel, I felt a tad let down. I’m hop­ing the next in the series shall rec­tify that and con­tain a great deal less walking.

*This book was provided to me by the publisher.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadowfell.

07/15/2012 page 205
49.0% "Hmmm...." 16 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lyndi (new) - added it

Lyndi Sooo... if you're denied, you'll be saved by Jesus? That sounds like a win to me.

Kat Kennedy No. I'll faint and probably die. Was that not obvious? Damn - off to find another gif.

message 3: by Andrea (last edited Apr 24, 2012 10:33PM) (new)

Andrea I recommend using Radiohead's clip for "Just". :D

Scarlett haha, I am totally in the same boat! Not approval yet nor a denial...so we'll see which way it goes!

message 5: by jo (new) - added it

jo mo we talking edelweiss or netgalley approval here?

Kat Kennedy Netgalley. But I might try requesting on Edelweiss as well...

message 7: by jo (last edited Apr 25, 2012 01:31AM) (new) - added it

jo mo Kat wrote: "Netgalley. But I might try requesting on Edelweiss as well..."

on edelweiss one seems to get fast responses. i've been declined 2 days after my request :/
good luck y'all

message 8: by Misty (new)

Misty Kudos to you for the appropriate usage of epic Supernatural icons. lol Yes, this books does sound interesting, though.

message 9: by Lyndi (new) - added it

Lyndi *grumbles* I liked the Fresh Prince gif... Shouldn't have said anything. =/

message 10: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica I love Dean!!! :) And I really want to read this book...

Shiloh (Fantastic Reading) I got approved on Netgalley yesterday. I'd been waiting for a couple of weeks. If that helps at all.

message 12: by Tatiana (new) - added it

Tatiana Wipe away your tears, Kat. It's not that great.

message 13: by Leah (new)

Leah Steele And hopes and dreams collapse like a flan in a cupboard...

message 14: by Jess (new)

Jess LMAO!!!!

Kat Kennedy Wait... What, Tatiana? It's not that great?

message 16: by AH (new) - added it

AH I didn't get approved on Edelweiss - they were really fast to say no, but I noticed it may be due to country restrictions. If you look on NetGalley Random House Children's says that it only approves US -
You must be located in the US, and work for a US-based library, store, or publication. We do not hold rights to distribute eGalleys to territories outside the US, and suggest you reach out to the publisher in your country to attain a copy.
Which is weird since they release in Canada/US at the same time.

Kat Kennedy I did actually get approved.

message 18: by AH (new) - added it

AH Lucky you! They haven't said no on Netgalley, but my request probably got lost in the Bermuda Triangle.

message 19: by Becca (new)

Becca wait is the first clip of doctor Who?

Kat Kennedy Yes it was.

message 21: by Becca (new)

Becca Okay thanks! sorry i'm just a fan of Doctor Who.

message 22: by Janet (new) - added it

Janet McNulty I love Doctor Who and Supernatural. This is the funniest review I've read.

message 23: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Does Random House approve international requests? (Also, love the GIFs)

message 24: by Zarah (new) - added it

Zarah Ps. Kat - can I work for you by mentally making you coffee, fetching your slippers and vacuuming your floors? Because I could definitely "help you" read the pesky books you get sent, too, when you're too busy! ;)

(Yes, I'm kidding! Mostly. :P)

Eyehavenofilter I think I must read this now?

message 26: by Miss Deva (new) - added it

Miss Deva Lmao!

This review had me laughing out loud.Easily my favorite review by far.
The first pic would be me if I didn't win the book and the second pic would be if I did.And yes, I would actually dance like that if I won the book. Though, it would probably come off allot more embarrassing and involve allot more hip shaking... :3

Ashley - The Bookish Brunette OMG. Kat ... I just died. I'm stating a petition!!!! We must get this book to Kat IMMEDIATELY!!!!! Right now people! Sign ups in an hour @ The Bookish Brunette!!!

Ashley - The Bookish Brunette *starting* damn iPhone....

Kat Kennedy I love your enthusiasm, Ashley! But I already got the book AND the review will be up soon - so you can rest at ease!

Ashley - The Bookish Brunette Well THANK GOD! ;)

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Bah! I think I might give this one a shot.

Lysette Good review! I feel just the same, i love Juliet's books but this one is a bit of a disapointment. I hope the next one is better. :)