Mythili's Reviews > Subwayland: Adventures in the World Beneath New York

Subwayland by Randy Kennedy

Sep 06, 08

Read in August, 2008

I went looking for a book like this in McNally Robinson when, after daydreaming about all the possible books that could be written about the subway during one underground journey, it occurred to me that a lot of very good books about the subway had already been written and were just a credit card swipe away from my sticky fingers. As an anthology of the NYT articles of the guy who has covered the MTA for many years, Subwayland looks at the subway from all angles. Conveniently, each vista is column-sized. Given that my commute to and from work is only about a 15 minute ride each way, I read Subwayland as a series of mostly very enjoyable daily anecdotes about seagulls riding the A train in Rockaway, MTA workers being sent to retrieve sippy cups dropped onto the tracks, and the like. Columns being columns, Subwayland is high on color and low on content -- I still have lots of burning questions about the BMT and the IRT and the demise of the 9 train, but hey, I guess that's what Wikipedia is for.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Subwayland.