Jack's Reviews > Abarat

Abarat by Clive Barker

Feb 14, 12

bookshelves: interesting, surprisingly-good, i-am-going-to-finish-this-series, fantasy, win
Read from February 13 to 14, 2012

For the first 15-ish pages, I had no clue what was happening. I almost put the book down and stopped reading then, because it seemed so bad. Looking back, I'm glad I didn't, because reading it brought me to a land where anything is possible and the extraordinary is ordinary.
Admittedly, there are a few places that I lost track of what was happening, mainly when Candy traveled to the 25th island. Other than that, there aren't many flaws. Some of the dialogue is confusing, and it's occasionally hard to keep the Johns separate, but other than that, the book is fine.
I also really liked the pictures. If I understood the biography of the author on the flap, then Barker painted all of them himself, which is quite a feat. My favorite was The Beautiful Moment, simply because there's so many things happening. Also, when I saw the painting of Shape, I thought he was the Slender Man, and got creeped out. Anyway, the paintings definitely added to the book.
Overall, the book does a great job of describing things, although it's confusing at points. It's definitely a good read.
Final Rating: 4
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Abarat.