Laura Salas's Reviews > Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Writing Thank-you Notes

Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Writing Thank-you Notes by Peggy Gifford

Feb 14, 12

bookshelves: audiobook, children-s, middle-grade
Read in February, 2012

** spoiler alert ** This one really stretched the limits of credibility. I get that Moxy's mom is nice and wants to protect her feelings. But would she REALLY take the blame for Moxy's dad canceling Moxy and Mark's trip to Hollywood to visit him? I don't think so. How lucky that Mark overheard the conversation and could tell Moxy the truth.

I loved the photocopying of the thank you notes, and the hank you on the wall--hysterical! I like Moxy's misadventures, but, again, the whole idea of all of this stemming from procrastination kind of drives me a little bit crazy.

Also, the number of chapters titled, "In which Moxy Gets Mad at Her Mother," and then that start Moxy got mad at her mother (or whatever) was way overdone. That's funny once in a book. Maybe twice. But it drove me crazy.

Still, there were lots of really funny scenes. And lots of times Moxy felt very much like a real kid. I think Gifford does a great job of characterization. Moxy would drive me nuts in real life. But as a character, I like her. I just don't like that every book seems to be based on procrastination/trying to get out of things. That just annoys me...doesn't draw me into the book. Obviously, it's the hook for the whole series! I'm sure kids love this book--there is so much good stuff here!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Writing Thank-you Notes.