Jennifer D's Reviews > Swamplandia!

Swamplandia! by Karen Russell

F_50x66
Feb 14, 12

hmmm. Overall this book was good - a unique story line, quirky & likable characters, etc - but it had some major flaws. Apparently this novel started off as a short story (which I did not read.) While the descriptions of the environment and backstories is lovely, it felt as though the author did not have enough material/content/plot to fully expand on the tale hence the great details on the little things.

I like that it does not have the typical Hollywood happy ending. I just felt that it didnt pack the punch it should have. Did you ever see Trainspotting? It starts off as a comedy and then there is this moment when it turns absolutely horrific, when things are no longer funny. It is a very effective emotional transition. Thats how Swamplandia is, it starts off funny & absurd and then something repulsive happens, but the effect is a bit dulled for the reader because the heavy descriptions drag it down. Hope this make sense.

Supposedly this will be a mini series on HBO- I am looking forward to it because like I said, overall it was a good story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Swamplandia!.