Wynn's Reviews > Hidden Summit

Hidden Summit by Robyn Carr

Jul 04, 12

bookshelves: state-of-california, series-part-of, divorced-women, witnesses, disappointing, romance
Read from February 14 to 15, 2012, read count: 1

The one and only bad apple. I also have read and enjoyed all of the Virgin River books including the novellas except for this one. Leslie and Conner are two new characters who are recently divorced with crazy ex's wanting reconciliation. Conner starts out brooding, but when he meets Leslie his demeanor suddenly changes. I thought it was too quick and so was the start of their relationship. Their relationship revolved around sex from the very (very) start, as well as, their situations with the ex-spouses. Their relationship was flat. I can't really define it, but something was missing from the two. They had drama outside of their relationship, but not very much in it.

Another problem I had was this - Bree Valenzuela is helping Conner hide in Virgin River before he testifies in a court case that poses a dangerous threat to him and everyone he knows. He is using a fake name and his sister is also in hiding. The threat never materialized. It was a missed opportunity to add suspense and more drama. It just hovered in the background and the conclusion of this plot line was lackluster. Plus, when Walt Arneson rides into town (apparently from another Carr series) I was baffled. I have never read any other series from Carr so the scene made no sense to me and confused me because of the Virgin River character Walt Booth (Vanni's father and Muriel's husband).

The highlights - Katie, Conner's sister. Katie is a war widow and is looking to fall in love again. Plus, the young abandoned mother, Nora, from Bring Me Home for Christmas, makes an appearance and more of her story is told. What happens to her was the most exciting part of the book.

Hidden Summit was also a nice reminder of familiar characters - Bree and Mike, Becca and Denny, Paul and Vanni, Jack and Mel, Noah and Ellie, Dan and Cheryl, & Becca and Denny.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hidden Summit.