Kathryn's Reviews > Mirror Dance

Mirror Dance by Lois McMaster Bujold

My first reading of this book involved frantically skimming it till 6am in the morning. Then I read it properly, and fell in love with it.

Mirror Dance combines the edge-of-seat adventure I've come to expect from Bujold's Miles Vorkosigan stories with the delving around in her character's psychologies I so enjoyed in her earlier books Shards of Honor and Barrayar.

The relationship between the clone brothers was beautifully explored as Miles saves Mark then Mark saves Miles, and comes to the realisation that he is a person in his own right and his success in life doesn't rely on being just like his brother.

During the course of the book self loathing, paranoid Mark discovers his own talents, and works out his place in the world as Lord Mark Pierre Vorkosigan (I loved seeing Cordelia and Arral through his eyes - I miss them!) He also develops a beautifully black sense of humor - "Never give aversion therapy to a masochist"!

As always with Bujold's books her precise vocabulary had me frequently reaching for the dictionary, but I like to have my brain stretched so I think that's a good thing.

This one is going straight onto my Want to Own! list.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mirror Dance.