Jeremy Stephens's Reviews > The Omen Machine

The Omen Machine by Terry Goodkind

Feb 14, 12

bookshelves: books-of-2012
Read in February, 2012

After reading Terry Goodkind's previous novel, The Law of Nines, I didn't have great expectations for this book. The idea of an author spewing forth lousy novels as a way to milk a popular series or their well-know name is not a new occurance and so I began reading The Omen Machine because I had the mindset that I should read it simply because I read every other book in the Sword of Truth series. Now that I have finished reading it, I am relieved that The Omen Machine was much better than the waste of paper that was The Law of Nines even though it was not on par with Goodkind's earlier novels.
What I liked about the story the most is that it continues the Sword of Truth series in a way that makes sense and doesn't try to revive the already-resolved conflicts of the earlier books. Despite this, the book does have several weaknesses- the biggest of course being the ending. At the end of the book I found myself feeling that the ending was rushed and lacking in overall conflict and details. I thought to myself, is that all? There will no doubt be another sequel to tie up any unresolved issues within the plot but part of me feels as if The Sword of Truth series should have stopped at Confessor, the previous book in the series, since that book was very well written and left the reader with both a sense of finality and closure.
I gave this book three stars because despite its weaknesses, it's not a bad read and worth checking out for those who are huge fans of the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Omen Machine.