Keertana's Reviews > The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight

Apr 02, 2012

liked it
Read on March 26, 2012

Rating: 3.5

Wow. That's all I can say at the moment. Wow. This book was so much more than a love story. I started reading it, expecting it to be a cute and mushy romance, but it had so much depth, so many important messages and themes, that I'm speechless. To sum it up: I loved it. I really did. It was the perfect balance of friendship, romance, understanding, and growth. And believe me, it is SO much more than a love story. So. Much. More.

Hadley's family is far from perfect. Her father left for Oxford two years ago, only to return four months later demanding a divorce. Now, she's on her way to London to attend her father's wedding - a father who she has refused to see for two years and a stepmother she's never met. Despite not wanting to go, Hadley unintentionally misses her flight, forced to wait for the next one. Yet, during her wait, she meets Oliver - gorgeous, gentlemanly, funny, and utterly British. Furthermore, their seats are 18A and 18C...coincidence? Hadley thinks so. But slowly, she begins to realize how unlikely it was that she met Oliver. What were the chances of her missing her flight by four minutes? Of her finding a seat so close to him? Of her even choosing to sit in the same waiting room as him? Still, the only thing on Hadley's agenda is getting through her father's wedding and rushing back home. But then again, love is anything but planned...

Hadley was a honest, friendly, and fresh heroine. I loved her voice, her flashbacks of her father, her interpretation of the destruction of her family, and, most importantly, I loved her growth. She wasn't afraid to accept that she had made mistakes and she wasn't afraid to patch up the past and move on. Her relationship with Oliver almost seemed too perfect - they understood each other, made each other laugh, and managed to talk almost constantly for a seven hour flight. Their friendship was sparkling, their chemistry electric, and their first kiss absolutely adorable. But, there was so much more to their relationship beyond the airport. They had reality to face too and although their second encounter was awkward, it felt far more natural and realistic. Smith, despite showing us the beauty of first love and an immediate connection with another, also showed us the other side - the side where you have to struggle to make a relationship work; but, as long as you're with the right person, its possible.

Another amazing relationship I loved in this book was Hadley's connection with her parents. Despite her mother not being in London, she remained close to her mother and constantly thought about her, giving us glimpses into her life as well. Furthermore, the familiarity of her relationship with her father and her surprise at still being such an important aspect of his life was touching and heart-warming. Like all teenagers, Hadley was driven by her emotions, her gut feelings, and often times, feelings of anger towards both her parents. Yet, bordering on adulthood, she was able to accept those mistakes and work through the mess that became of her parents' marriage. She was able to learn that what was truly important at the end was their happiness.

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight is ironically not about love at first sight. Its about two teenagers who find a way to connect despite their struggles. Its about a girl who learns to accept the actions that were beyond her control and come to make decisions that ARE in her control, moving on and creating a better future. Its about second chances, forgiveness, and acceptance. But most importantly, its about falling in love when you least expect it. Its about finding someone who appreciates you for you, someone who makes you irrevocably happy, someone who fits in perfectly with your life - even if they destroyed another one to be part of yours.

I loved The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight. It was sweet, cute, adorable, and yet managed to make me think and truly reflect. It was told from a fresh and honest perspective and I devoured it in one sitting. Its the kind of book you can read over and over again and each time it'll be sure to bring a smile to your face. There is no doubt that I have fallen in love with this book and hopefully, you will too.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight.