Zen Cho's Reviews > Good as Lily

Good as Lily by Derek Kirk Kim

Jul 20, 08

bookshelves: comics, written-by-poc

I quite liked this! The art wasn't very good, but I liked that most of the main characters were Asian and they didn't make a big deal of it. The protag wasn't very likeable, but that was all right -- she was a fairly believable teenager, and she wasn't so annoying she made me want to put the book down.

I found the storyline disappointing, though. At first I thought they were going to explore, y'know, important things in her life, so the kid represented Grace's angst about her parents loving Lily better, and the old lady Grace seemed to be about, I dunno, not valuing her family enough. So I thought perhaps there'd be some stuff about her career -- maybe the 29-year-old Grace was jaded because she wasn't sure where she was going with it? -- but instead the whole story seemed to be about romance. Also I'm not clear whether her dating her friend means she's changed the future or not. Old Grace telling the guy to lay off the cholesterol suggests not, but lonely 29-year-old Grace suggests she did? Don't know!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good as Lily.