Lynne Spreen's Reviews > Spare Change

Spare Change by Bette Lee Crosby

Feb 14, 12

bookshelves: midlife
Read in February, 2012

I'm constantly looking for stories about older women evolving, so Spare Change filled that need. A couple of things I found noteworthy: the characters were multi-dimensional, the book was well-paced, the dramatic tension pulled me in and kept me hungry to learn more. I found the main characters to be people I could root for (or hate, as the case may be), and the ending was satisfying (except the very last chapter was maybe more than we needed. The second to last was satisfying enough. But I'm kind of a minimalist so that probably reflects my tendency more than anything!)

I think my favorite part was when Olivia was returning from her honeymoon and while on the road, an old woman nurtured her back to health, at least enough to get home. I liked the old woman - the whole idea of people looking out for each other is a big deal for me. I enjoyed the camaraderie of the house where Charlie had lived, and how Olivia finally emerged from her ordeal (trying to avoid spoilers here) with the help of a concerned neighbor, who spread the word to the rest of the residents. I also liked how the little boy, Ethan Allen, turned back into a kid after such a rough beginning and how Olivia blossomed into a mama bear. There was a lot here to feed your heart, and Bette Lee Crosby does a good job of meting it out with just the right amount of suspense and tension.

Spare Change had plenty to recommend it and I enjoyed every page.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spare Change.