Tonya Moore's Reviews > The Devil's Mixtape

1571946
Feb 15, 2012

bookshelves: reviewed
Read in February, 2012

I like a book that really makes me think, so a book with a title such as The Devil's Mix Tape isn't something that I could pass up on reading, not in a million years. Depending on your personal tastes, the subject matter might be a bit harder to swallow than that of your run-of-the-mill contemporary book. True, it may prove to be challenging for readers who prefer a more linear sort of story but I think the scattered style of storytelling makes The Devil's Mix Tape feel like a puzzle you just have to solve.

The language of The Devil's Mix Tape is vivid and visceral. Mary Borsellino takes a long, hard look at human nature and what she brings to us are questions that have already been brought about by social dichotomies and lore. Reality isn't pretty. Most of us have witnessed and experienced enough cruelty to understand that. Mary Borsellino gives voice to some of the most notorious women in recent history, strong voices of the damaged and twisted. They are voices that do not asked to be forgiven or pitied. We often choose to regard real events concerning violent people--women in particular, as incomprehensible. God forbid that we'd delve into their inner workings and acknowledge why these things actually happened. What The Devil's Mix Tape reminds us is that closing our eyes to the daily disasters unfolding right in front of us does not make us immune to them.

None of us are as good or innocent as we'd like to think we are and none of us are as evil as we fear we are. What does it mean when a terrible choice is the only one we could have made? What is it that makes people splinter, how does it happen and what happens afterward? Who is to be blamed for the misfortunes that befall a person? If there are saints and demons walking the earth, who are they and what were they before?

The Devil's Mix Tape by Mary Borsellino is Samsara expressed more profoundly than I would have expected of any contemporary book. Read and judge for yourself--or judge not.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil's Mixtape.