Leanne's Reviews > The Wizard of Crescent Moon Mountain: Elven Resurrection

The Wizard of Crescent Moon Mountain by Oldman Brook

Mar 03, 12

Read from February 14 to 29, 2012

The Wizard of Crescent Moon Mountain is a children's fantasy adventure novel, funny, emotional, and with enough gore and darkness to hopefully lure pre-teens/early teens away from their video games in favour of good old-fashioned books. It might be advisable for parents to have a quick flick through the story before giving this to children who might not be comfortable with the scarier, bloodier scenes, which for those made more of “snails and puppy dog tails” might be what makes this an awesome read.

The greatest strength of this book has to be the way the characters bring themselves to life—from the titular character, Greybeard, who alternates between being a grumpy old man and a fearsome wizard warrior, and comical dwarf, Wattlespalf, who amused me so much that he was by far my favourite character.

The book opens with a dramatic pursuit through the woods as goblins chase cowardly thief turned writer, Connor Perrywinkle, before he is saved by the imposing wizard of Crescent Moon Mountain. The story then shifts to Greybeard entertaining his adventuring companions—three dwarfs and two shape-shifters. While they plan to rid the south of a mysterious warrior leading armies of goblins, their evening is interrupted as they rescue a pair of boys, lost and exposed in the snow.

These boys turn out to be elves, accidental time travellers who discover that their race has been extinct for over three-thousand years. Finn, the older of the two, is noble, brave, and grows to be the archetypal hero, while his younger brother is naughty, petulant, and demonstrates a natural aptitude for magic. These characters will give young readers someone to identify with as the elves get caught up in Greybeard and friends’ cause.

Travelling through the world of Everlast, the adventurers battle monsters such as draugar and goblins, and discover that giants and dragons are not as beastly as they seem—although with dragons you never know when they might decide to gobble up a soldier, friend or foe! With strong messages about not judging a book by its cover and seeing the good and bad in everyone, this is probably the first story I’ve read where an insight into goblin minds has made me feel sympathetic for some—cultured Bobbucket trying to avoid the violence, and Pompucket, a more traditional goblin, complaining about being imprisoned in a clean and comfortable house even as he snuggles into a warm blankie.

A steady build up while the group amasses a small army to prevent the destruction of Everlast, soon turns into a fast-paced battle, with thrills, plenty of spills, tears and laughter. Although the story concludes nicely, there is enough to keep you thinking, “Is this really the end...or could there be more?” I certainly came away with many theories about who the mysterious voice in the green light might be, and what really hides behind Warrior’s mask. I won’t be shy in saying that I would love to read a sequel, should one ever be written.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wizard of Crescent Moon Mountain.

03/03/2012 page 440

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lucinda I cannot wait to read this book & now even more so because of your really insightful and honest review!