Kate's Reviews > The Unlikely Romance of Kate Bjorkman

The Unlikely Romance of Kate Bjorkman by Louise Plummer

Aug 09, 07

bookshelves: ls583, a-little-romance, funny-ha-ha, library-school, strong-women, ya-fic
Recommended for: anti-heroines, nerds named Kate
Read in July, 2007

Gawky Kate Bjorkman has a rapier wit, genius IQ, and coke-bottle glasses. She’s been in love with Richard, her former neighbor and brother’s best friend, since they were kids, and she describes their budding romance by poking fun at Harlequin novel conventions, which take the lovers into bliss, betrayal, and back again.

I was completely charmed by this intelligent, witty, romantic anti-romance and wish I had discovered it in high school, as I share not only the narrator’s name but her geeky non-heroine qualities. If only I had been able to see that my quirks and smarts were cause for confidence as clearly as my doppelganger does!

I think many young women who are off the beaten track of teenage expectations but still yearn (there's one of those romance novel words) for stories about connection will find a kindred spirit in Kate and comfort in her family and friends, especially Fleur. I also enjoyed how the book was constructed as an "unedited" work in progress, with Kate’s revision notes serving as supplemental information about her life and inner workings.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unlikely Romance of Kate Bjorkman.