Kelly Maybedog's Reviews > Consider Phlebas

Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks

Apr 01, 09

bookshelves: what-sf, when-reviewed
Read in April, 2009

I'm not sure what to say here. I'm left thinking, "hunh." I started out not caring about any of the characters and by the end that had only changed slightly. The main character has a complex concept of morality that could be defined as highly moral but more so "sociopath." It started out as kind of a ridiculous space opera and ended up being quite depressing. I don't know if I'll read any more of his books or not. I loved Whit but the other two I've read were so so. I must think on this book some more...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Consider Phlebas.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Brad I haven't read all of Banks' books yet, but I have liked every one I've read. I'm starting to wonder, though, what's wrong with me since all my favourite goodreads people, yourself included, are so underwhelmed by him.

Zach ha. Brad, I had the opposite experience: "underwhelmed" is exactly how I felt about this book, yet it seems like everyone whose taste I admired loves Banks.

Terence Brad wrote: "I haven't read all of Banks' books yet, but I have liked every one I've read. I'm starting to wonder, though, what's wrong with me since all my favourite goodreads people, yourself included, are s..."

Gaaaah...I'm not one of your "favourites"?! I'm devastated! :-)

But you're not utterly alone: I love Banks; he's one of my favorite authors and I'd make any sort of Faustian bargain to join the Culture :-)

Brad I need to amend that to most of my faves, as you are one of them. I, too, would make that bargain.

Terence Brad wrote: "I need to amend that to most of my faves, as you are one of them. I, too, would make that bargain. "

Whew. Good news; I can go turn off the gas oven then :-)

PS -- I haven't gotten around to congratulating you on the newest addition to the Simkulet clan :-)

Lori (Hellian) Oh yes, congrads to Brad!

I also love Banks.

Kelly  Maybedog I do plan to read the next in the series because I've heard it gets better. I certainly didn't hate the first one.

Michele Brenton Kelly - if you liked Whit, you'll like The Crow Road, The Business and Espedair Street by Banks.