Brian's Reviews > Fate is the Hunter

Fate is the Hunter by Ernest K. Gann

Mar 18, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Read from February 14 to March 16, 2012

Wow! As I sat, rapidly thumbing through the pages in my spare time, I was awestruck from the first to the last page. I love historical books and, as a pilot, historical aviation books are especially delightful. Capt Gann paints a masterful picture of the dangerous days of early aviation and of the mysterious force, fate, that keeps excellent young aviators from long careers, while older, equally capable men live on by staying a fingernails length away from death's grasp. The recounted events are harrowing, heartbreaking, mystifying and eerie. You don't need to be a pilot to appreciate "Fate is the Hunter," or have an aviation background, as this book only uses the backdrop of aviation to discuss the deeper question of "why" in so many deaths. Is it always genetics, or lack of education, or misjudgements that lead to ones death? Or could luck play a large part? Capt Gann makes a plausible case for the later explanation throughout this incredible work. A definite must read for those that like historical works as well as aviation enthusiasts and those that believe in the unexplainable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fate is the Hunter.

02/14/2012 page 56