Jinnie Lee's Reviews > Making Ideas Happen: Overcoming the Obstacles Between Vision and Reality

Making Ideas Happen by Scott Belsky

Feb 14, 2012

liked it
Read in January, 2012 , read count: .5

This book is written by a guy who was interested in organization and productivity within the creative business community (designers, etc.), whom he observered was awash in great ideas but too many failed to get implemented or were not implemented successfully. So he put together a productivity "system" for this audience, as well as an online community where they can support each other in developing the habits, as well as sharing work for feedback and sharing job opportunities. The "system" he offers is simple and elegant - not to many moving parts or complex concepts. I think this makes it pretty brilliant for his target audience of creatives - which has trouble sticking to systems/processes and thus needs to those systems/processes to be simple enough to execute but flexible enough to allow for customizations - but I think it makes it pretty elementary for the rest of us, especially if you (like me) read alot about organization, productivity, time management, etc. CAVEAT: There are three parts to his "system" - Organization/Execution, The Forces of Community, and Leadership Capabilities - and I only read the first part (O/E) because I wanted specifically to compare it to GTD (Getting Things Done by David Allen, which I recommend more strongly than this approach). There is the possibility that if I had read parts 2 and 3, I might have discovered some other concepts that would have wowed me more and elevated this offering in my esteem. For now, however, I consider this to be a good refresher of ideas I already use, with a few new approaches or techniques added - it's a good book in my collection, but I don't think it provides THE singular approach that will change my life. (Hopefully, it has changed others lives who needed to get more productive!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Making Ideas Happen.