Sheena's Reviews > Code Name Verity

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

Oct 31, 12

bookshelves: book-club-2013
Read from February 06 to 15, 2012

Heartbreaking. That's the word that describes this book. Code Name Verity is the story of two women, Maddie and her friend. Maddie is a pilot for England during World War II who does mostly transport flights. Her friend is a spy, working to gain intelligence to be used against Hitler and his Nazi thugs. When she is captured by the Gestapo in occupied France she must find the courage to give the German's what they want. She faces torture and certain death. To tell her tale she tells Maddie's. As she writes the reader is draw into a chaotic world where women are called upon to risk just as much as the men.

This book is broken into two parts. Each part draws the reader in, making them want more. The author is brilliant and the story is incredible. This is a book that will stick with you and you will continue to think about it long after you finish the last page. In many ways it reminds me of The Book Thief. The story is haunting and makes the reader think about what they would do if they were in the situations these women face. I recommend this book to anyone who is looking for a story with some meat. Excellent, excellent read.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Code Name Verity.

02/14/2012 page 150
show 4 hidden updates…

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Estara I really like the review, but I'd wish you'd put it with a spoiler warning, because the moment her real name is clear is so much stronger if you don't know it before you start the book.

Sheena Estara wrote: "I really like the review, but I'd wish you'd put it with a spoiler warning, because the moment her real name is clear is so much stronger if you don't know it before you start the book."

Sorry about that. I guess I didn't think. I've changed it. Thanks for the feedback.

message 3: by Estara (last edited Feb 21, 2012 12:39PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Estara Thank you so much ^^ - I hate to ask, because you're already so nice - but it would hide the name if you used the GoodReads "hide entire review because of spoilers" option to the lower right of the review box when you save the review - because you mention her name in the first two lines - and that gets shown, even if you save the review with the spoiler warning right at the top. Goodreads shows the first six lines for every review with text.

Sheena Okay after I reread it I changed my review. You're right it does take away from the story. Thanks again for bringing that to my attention. I hate the story gets ruined and I don't want to do that for someone else. I hope this helps.

Estara It definitely does! With your kind reaction to this request from a virtual stranger I thought it would be rude to ask you to take the name out - and that's why I thought that specific option comes in so handy.

I'm a reviewer who usually can't keep these things to myself when I really love a book, so I've grown used to ticking it and then whoever wants to read my review is warned. Of course that may mean that people don't read my reviews at all, when they don't like being spoiled.

But this doesn't take anything away from your review (except the name) and every reader can decide on the strength of those six lines if they want to click on more - that's probably most perfect ^^.