Nicole's Reviews > The Flame Alphabet

The Flame Alphabet by Ben Marcus

Feb 23, 12

Read from February 14 to 23, 2012

70 pages in and this is the most boring "thriller" I've ever read. The premise is amazing, language that kills!, and apparently it's a true story because reading this is a slow painful death. I'm not usually a quitter when it comes to books, but I don't think I'm going to make it. I keep skipping whole, useless paragraphs. Ben Marcus is clearly trying too hard. There's a point where flowery prose must end and make way for an actual plot, but apparently Marcus doesn't agree.

The Jewish subplot, if you can call it that, is completely unnecessary, unless the author's point was to simply alienate most of his audience. In that case, he has succeeded marvelously. I have no idea what all the religious subtext has to do with the story, and since I don't know a lot of Jewish mythology, I'm left wondering what of this is based on fact and what of this (I have a feeling most) is bizarrely exaggerated fiction.

Maybe it's just too heady for me. Either way, there are so many better books to be read. Why should I waste any more of my time on this one?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Flame Alphabet.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leah (new) - rated it 1 star

Leah I feel the same! (I am on page 78) Kill me now! I keep thinking "it's gotta get better"... but no. I will give it a couple more chapters, then done.

Trisha I agree! I'm on page 93, and am finding it really hard to get into the plot. It reads a lot like a textbook, and the characters are so unlikable that nothing is compelling me to keep going...

message 3: by Leah (new) - rated it 1 star

Leah yes, I gave up a few days ago. Oh well. :)

Shelly So glad to see I am not the only one who is not getting the book! This is the first GoodRead well-reviewed book that has disappointed. Oh well! Too many books to waste much more effort on this.

Trisha I, too, picked up a new book this morning and am already enjoying it! I couldn't bring myself to finish The Flame Alphabet.

Sharon Halfway through, and I'm quitting. This book has been a painful slog. Yup, too many better things to read.

message 7: by Roseann (new)

Roseann Enwright Thank you for this! I feel the same way and just quit on page 72.

message 8: by Leo (new) - rated it 2 stars

Leo Robertson I wish I had given up! Kudos, everyone.

Bentley I'm glad so many have agreed! I started reading but never found anything to keep me going. The authors diction is simply bizarre and only makes reading the book more difficult!

message 10: by Christie (new)

Christie I only made it to page 60 and I had to give up and I NEVER give up on books, but I just could not get into it! Glad I wasn't the only one!

Jessica I was debating whether or not to give up on this book (I've only ever done it once before) but you've help given me the push I need. I kept thinking that it would get better but it doesn't and its so slow paced. Thanks for the push - I'm starting a new book tonight!

Jensine I LOATTTTTHED reading this but I can't stop a book when I've started it (my little quirk). Some books have turned out really good after I wanted to give up, but this one just plain sucked! What a waste, never understood what was going on or what he was talking about.

message 13: by Jillian (new) - added it

Jillian Just checked - only up to page 53. Think that may be enough for me.

Trinette "...apparently it's a true story because reading this is a slow painful death. "

This exact thought came to mind as I was reading this book.

Darin Whereas I'm really enjoying it so far. Diff'rent strokes!

Nicole Darin wrote: "Whereas I'm really enjoying it so far. Diff'rent strokes!"

That's what makes the world go round!

Maybe you can explain its merits to the rest of us. Then again, you only gave it 3 stars, so you couldn't have enjoyed it that much.

message 17: by Mitch (new) - added it

Mitch Frost I have to agree with the majority of people commenting on this review. Page 66 and I am out. Not my cup of tea.

Ammie I read the whole work. I should get an award for Masochist of the Year. This work could have gone in such a wonderful direction...all the elements were there...childspeak as harmful...when I read that, I was sold. After reading 289 pages...my reaction was "What did I just read?"