Rachel's Reviews > And Should We Die...: A Young Man's Experience with the Miraculous

And Should We Die... by Ron McMillan

F_50x66
Mar 21, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Read in February, 2012

Synopsis: Young Randy McMillan, a fantastic wrestler, friend, student, and leader in high school goes off to college for a semester and then decides to serve a 2 year LDS mission for his church. He is called to go to Italy and he serves successfully for about 18 months. When one day he awakens with a terrible pain and is rushed to the hospital. They do an emergency surgery when they find out that Randy has Leukemia. Bad. At the time it was unheard of to survive Leukemia. He is sent home from his mission and is immediately sent to the University of Utah to receive treatment. He goes through a stage of getting better, cancer in complete remission, and then it suddenly comes back with great force. He tells of a story about going on a camping trip with his 15 year old brother and his friend. It is a memoir about his life and all the lives he touched because of his cancer.
Review: I really liked this book. It is a tear-jerker. The whole story about Randy and the many miracles he was a part of. So many things happened in his life that could have and SHOULD have gone completely wrong, but didn't. It is amazing.
What stood out to me is the honesty of the author. Randy's brother, Ron, actually wrote the story for Randy. Randy knew he was going to die and he wanted a way to keep his story alive. Ron suggested that he write a book; Randy loved the idea. He asked Ron to write it for him. I love how honest Ron is in saying that it took him years to finish the book. Randy passes away, Ron finished his interviews for the book, and kind of puts the book aside. But he is so honest in saying that he didn't really want to finish the book. I would not have been that honest.
I would recommend this to anybody who wants a really touching true story of a truly miraculous person. Mostly people of the LDS faith will understand this the best, but it is truly, truly amazing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read And Should We Die....