Kricket's Reviews > Baby's in Black: Astrid Kirchherr, Stuart Sutcliffe, and The Beatles

Baby's in Black by Arne Bellstorf

May 14, 12

bookshelves: 2012, graphic-novels, love-story, music, art
Read on May 13, 2012, read count: 1

upon discovering this would be published: !!!!!!!!!!!!

upon reading: disappointing. i love the beatles and i love comics so i was hoping this would be explosively awesome and make all my dreams come true. but it was only pretty okay.

1. i love the cover art and the style of bellstorf's work. i really do. but then, reading the book, it turns out that the characters on the cover are the only characters he can draw. so almost all of the male characters look alike. i kept going "is that klaus, or stu? ah yes, klaus' chin has a slightly different line...oh wait, nevermind. that's george." there's also not a lot of movement to the drawings- like he's positioning paper dolls in different spots. so, while i would very much enjoy a print of bellstorf's work, say, on my wall...as a comic it's not quite the perfect fit.

2. the dialogue. this was translated from german so it's hard to say where that went wrong. it's clunky and wooden, like "i am going to say thing thing now that will advance the plot." there's no juice, no passion. and this is a great love story!

anyway, i'm still giving it 3 stars because looking at the cover makes me so happy and because i was so excited when i bought the book at TCAF. yep, that's irrational. but the innards are a solid 2.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Baby's in Black.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrea (new)

Andrea figures, coming from a person who loves Ringo best.

Kricket hahaha. i just really want attention! i'm so quirky!

Michele Exactly my thoughts! I had such a hard time keeping track of who was who!