Amanda Erickson's Reviews > Screenplay: The Foundations of Screenwriting; A step-by-step guide from concept to finished script

Screenplay by Syd Field

Aug 13, 08

Read in August, 2008

I read this book because it was recommended in The DC comics guide to writing comics.

The idea was to use this book to help solidify an idea for a comic I'm wanting to create.

I'm really not sure how to review this book.

It's really bad in some areas and really good in others.

It has a few tips and tricks that I found helpful and a nice breakdown/description of all the different screenplay formatting and camera direction.

There are a couple exercises that are suggested that might be helpful (I haven't tried them yet).

The rest of it though, was a bit of a chore to read. I read the third edition (not sure if there is a more recent one) and much of it referred to movies I've never seen, but yet it seemed like he expected you to have seen them all.

In some areas he "forces" you to read parts of certain screenplays. I understand the reasoning behind showing a real example, but I don't think he needed to put the scripts where he did. Generally he already explained why the script was so great... you didn't NEED to read it yourself. I would have preferred him to include the material in an appendix rather than forcing me to read it IN the chapter.

Overall, I'm still glad a read it, but I was hoping for more. It just didn't deliver.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Screenplay.