Baba ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter's Reviews > The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie

The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie by Jennifer Ashley

Feb 18, 2012

Read from February 17 to 18, 2012

FULL REVIEW NOW POSTED

It's beautiful. It's thoughtful. It's special.

"Love you."
The man who couldn't look anyone in the eyes was making himself do it, no matter what the pain. He was giving her a gift, the greatest one he could, straight from his heart.

4.5 stars.

London, 1881
Ian had lived with a raw pain for so long. He doesn't always know how to express his emotions, but that doesn't mean he doesn't feel them deeply. Ian is a special man. He avoids to look people into their eyes and his attention wanders when he is spoken to, and he interrupts conversations with inappropriate comments or questions that have nothing to do with the topic at hand. He can't follow a conversation when he's with a crowd. Further, he can't read hints from others. A person has to tell him a thing plainly. During Ian's stay at the asylum, he had to undergo a horrible "treatment". Obviously ice cold baths, beatings to suppress his rages, and electric shock "therapy" were common at that time. Since the electric shock therapy he suffers from terrible headaches on a regular basis. Ian was labelled as a madman, yet he is anything but mad. He's got incredible skills.

"I can play this piece note for note," Ian said, his breath warm in her ear. "But I cannot capture its soul."

On top of that, Ian has outstanding maths skills and a terrific memory for certain things.

It happens not all the time but for once I can say that I adored the heroine! Beth is kind-hearted, determined, stubborn, and she's got a will of steel. I think this woman can hold her own, and she did it all the time. She was Ian's constant source of strength and showed him a tremendous understanding. Beth is definitely exquisite porcelain and not a fake!

On his trip to discover the true meaning of love, Ian has to struggle from time to time.

Explain to me what loving feels like, Beth. I want to understand."
"Desire is part of it," she said slowly. "The love for another's body. But also love for their heart and their mind, and for all the silly things they do, no matter how absurd. Your world brightens when they walk into a room, dims when they leave it again. You want to be with the beloved so you can see him and touch him and hear his voice, but you want his happiness as well. It's selfish, but not entirely so."
"I can feel desire and wanting. I find you beautiful, and I want you."

Ian is such a tortured soul and he did find his soulmate when he met Beth. This hunger and desire that both of them felt for each other was so palpable and ever-present. I was pondering about the word accessible. I guess autistics are difficult to access at times, yet I just felt that Ms. Ashley did a fine job in making Ian very accessible. I got an insight into his mind and I feel very grateful for that. We always have a need to voice everything. However, communication and understanding even work without a single word. Maybe we should listen more to our heart and our feelings. And facial expression and posture are other forms of communication.

The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie is a beautifully written story. It's thoughtful, passionate and very sensual. The main protagonists are very likable and refreshing. Moreover, the author offers the reader a great cast of secondary characters as well. The story is nicely wrapped up by a lovely epilogue. I'm looking forward to reading the whole Highland Pleasures series!

Ultimately, Beth claimed Ian's body AND soul and she helped him to control his "rage" and to deal with the misery that his deceased father did cause him.

"I'll make you sure. You said yourself he caused you too much misery and that you and your brothers need to be done with him. Please, Ian. Let him go."

Ian did let him go and he said to Beth:

"I love you."

On a personal note
Thank you, Kristen, for sharing your knowledge about autism and the link:

I appreciate it, and I truly hope that you will find your right and special moment to read this story
55 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie.

02/17
44.0% "Ian shouted, not waiting for thunder. Lightning flared, bathing the room in white. The light outlined Ian's body, his sharp-lined face, burning his hair red. In that moment, Ian opened his eyes, like twin suns coming into view, and let his gaze directly meet Beth's. I love it so far! A special, thoughtful and beautiful story." 10 comments
02/23 marked as: read

message 2: by Kristen (new) - added it

Kristen I'll be looking for your comments

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Anna wrote: "Enjoy!"

Oh, Anna, it's really special! Love it!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Kristen wrote: "I'll be looking for your comments"

Will post a status update, Kristen.

Mimi Smith I love this book. And Ian. He's my favorite hero, although all of the Mackenzies are really special. Enjoy reading this :).

IMO, this is Ashley's best series and best book, so far.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Mimi wrote: "I love this book. And Ian. He's my favorite hero, although all of the Mackenzies are really special. Enjoy reading this :).

IMO, this is Ashley's best series and best book, so far."

Thank you, Mimi! I already love this guy! And I intend to read the whole series. I just put every Highland Pleasures book on my 'Mountain'!

Mimi Smith Baba wrote: "Mimi wrote: "I love this book. And Ian. He's my favorite hero, although all of the Mackenzies are really special. Enjoy reading this :).

IMO, this is Ashley's best series and best book, so far."

..."

Awesome! The next book is coming out in March, it's Hart, I'm so looking forward to it.

I loved Mac and Isabella, even though I'm not really a fan of the Reunited Them. That says a lot about how well written the characters and the stories are.

Still, her earlier series didn't make an impression on me at all :(

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Does she write PNR stuff too? I haven't checked out everything but I think there was something on her backlist about "shifters"... Not my cuppa.

Mimi Smith Baba wrote: "Does she write PNR stuff too? I haven't checked out everything but I think there was something on her backlist about "shifters"... Not my cuppa."

Yes, she does. I read those books, too, since I read everything Romance related and they're ok, readable. Nothing special, you know? She has two other historical series, as well, but I didn't even like those books.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Mimi wrote: "Baba wrote: "Does she write PNR stuff too? I haven't checked out everything but I think there was something on her backlist about "shifters"... Not my cuppa."

Yes, she does. I read those books, to..."

Thanks, Mimi! I'll stick to the Highland Pleasures series then.

KatLynne So glad to see you're liking this Baba. This entire series is a fav of mine:)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter KatLynne wrote: "So glad to see you're liking this Baba. This entire series is a fav of mine:)"

Yes, KatLynne, I did like it! I'll be reading the whole series! :))

message 13: by Kristen (new) - added it

Kristen I'll be looking forward to your review, Baba.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Kristen wrote: "I'll be looking forward to your review, Baba."

I hope I can post it in the next two or three hours.

message 15: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith Great review, Baba! Ian is amazing and special.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Mimi wrote: "Great review, Baba! Ian is amazing and special."

Thank you, Mimi! I couldn't agree more!!

message 17: by Jill (new)

Jill Excellent review Baba! And Ian is a very different hero. I wish more authors would take a chance like JA did here.

I think it's kinda cute that only a little while ago you wouldn't read any historicals. And look at you now!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Jill wrote: "Excellent review Baba! And Ian is a very different hero. I wish more authors would take a chance like JA did here.

Thanks, Jill! LOL Yeah, I'm looking at myself and I think I'm evolving when it comes to my reading preferences...

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Terrific review, Baba! Beth is made for Ian. She is so kind, and she appreciates him for who he is.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Anna wrote: "Terrific review, Baba! Beth is made for Ian. She is so kind, and she appreciates him for who he is."

Thanks, Anna! Yes, they complement each other perfectly!

Michelle [Helen Geek] Oh, Baba. What a wonderful thoughtful review. Your appreciation of the story comes through loud and clear. Thank you!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Michelle wrote: "Oh, Baba. What a wonderful thoughtful review. Your appreciation of the story comes through loud and clear. Thank you!"

Thanks, Michelle! A truly wonderful story! And I was happy to write this review.

Wendy Awesome review Baba! You reminded me of how much I love Ian's story and how much I love this series. Enjoy Mac's story. But my "gut" is telling me that you will LOVE Cameron's story! That man has got the bad boy edge to him. Not to mention he is a walking "sex on a stick!" Grrrrrrrrr. ;)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Wendy wrote: "Awesome review Baba! You reminded me of how much I love Ian's story and how much I love this series. Enjoy Mac's story. But my "gut" is telling me that you will LOVE Cameron's story! That man has g..."

Thanks, Wendy! Oh, I was already intrigued by his scar! Ok, I have to hurry to get to his story! Jeez, I'm only 3 % done with Mac's story...

Karla Wonderful review Baba for this very special book. Once again I can't tell you how pleased I am that you are reading this series in order. Wendy's comment about Cameron...well, just ignore her and don't be tempted by her Grrrrr to move ahead and ruin my day! LOL!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Karla wrote: "Wonderful review Baba for this very special book. Once again I can't tell you how pleased I am that you are reading this series in order. Wendy's comment about Cameron...well, just ignore her and d..."

Thanks, Karla! Oh jeeeeez, God forbid that I'd ruin your day! I can't do that! LOL

YES, Wendy, no more attempts at tempting me to jump Cameron's bones RIGHT FREAKIN' NOW!

Wendy *wicked grin*

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Wendy wrote: "*wicked grin*"

*waggles eyebrows*

Karla I saw that!!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Karla wrote: "I saw that!!"

Seriously?? I haven't seen anything, Karla. Don't mind us. :))

message 31: by Kristen (new) - added it

Kristen Baba, your review made me cry. It was wonderful, thoughtful, and the scenes you posted perfect. Thank you for the kinds words. I will read this book, and I can't express enough how wonderful it is to know that I have great friends willing to share the experience with me.

message 32: by Wendy (last edited Feb 18, 2012 04:28PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wendy LOL, Karla! Oh, oh, someone's in trouble. *snickers*

message 33: by Kristen (new) - added it

Kristen Haha! Wendy and Karla, you both crack me up! GR would be soooo boring with out you!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Kristen wrote: "Baba, your review made me cry. It was wonderful, thoughtful, and the scenes you posted perfect. Thank you for the kinds words. I will read this book, and I can't express enough how wonderful it is ..."

Thank you, Kristen! That's very sweet of you! I wish you many more very special and thoughtful moments with your 'special' son! :)

Searock Egad, this review is a tearjerker!

Love.
*sniff*

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Wendy wrote: "LOL, Karla! Oh, oh, someone's in trouble. *snickers*"

Just come over here, Wen! I'm offering you shelter...

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Searock wrote: "Egad, this review is a tearjerker!

Love.
*sniff*"

LOL Um...a collective tear jerker, SR?

Nikki Fabulous review, darling girl. This was a real gem and I've added it to my re-read pile, can't wait to get to it again. :)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Nikki wrote: "Fabulous review, darling girl. This was a real gem and I've added it to my re-read pile, can't wait to get to it again. :)"

Thanks, Nikki sweets! Indeed, it was such a special read! Sometimes the second time around it's even better..,
Have a wonderful Sunday! I'm outta here. It's 2:40 a.m.

KatLynne A wonderful review Baba for a very special story! I'm so glad you loved it and your review is perfect:)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter KatLynne wrote: "A wonderful review Baba for a very special story! I'm so glad you loved it and your review is perfect:)"

Thanks, KatLynne! I always try to give my best! LOL I'm already reading Mac's story and I really like this guy so far! Mac is so amusing. Love the witty dialog. Honestly, I can't wait to read Cameron's story as well as Hart's story!

message 42: by Vallsykes (last edited Aug 24, 2012 09:56AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vallsykes He's got incredible skills.
Oh yes! For me, Ian was that hero I like with the focused and abstract part of me. He is hot and he is appreciably unlike the norm. He is built with so many layers and such an unobtrusively deep soul that I gobbled this read up in one sitting. Great Review, B.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Vallsykes wrote: "He's got incredible skills.

Thank you, V! I agree with everything you said. Ian is such a special man and I really loved Beth as well. She cared so deeply for Ian.

message 44: by Vishous (new) - added it

Vishous "Is this what love feels like?" he whispered to her. "I don't like it, my Beth. It hurts too much."

oh def adding! great review as always Baba :) lol i should just start clicking like without even reading it first :P

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Vishous ↜ ↝ wrote: ""Is this what love feels like?" he whispered to her. "I don't like it, my Beth. It hurts too much."

Thanks, V! This is a great series. Enjoy!

message 46: by Gina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gina Excellent review Baba....reading this now...

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Gina wrote: "Excellent review Baba....reading this now..."

Thanks, Gina. I guess you'll enjoy it too. :DDD

Blacky *Romance Addict* Lovely review Baba <3 Loved this one!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Blacky wrote: "Lovely review Baba <3 Loved this one!"

Thanks, Blacky. Glad you loved it too. :)

Glamdring Great review, Baba! :)

« previous 1