Maree's Reviews > Scarlet

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

Feb 14, 2012

Read from February 16 to 22, 2013

Awesome! This is such a great series, and now I can't wait for the third (and then fourth!)

I was super glad that the book continued Cinder's story as well as adding Scarlet's to the mix. I would have been pretty bummed to miss out on all the excitement on her end. But having Scarlet added another dimension to the world, especially when it's hard to see all that's going on through the eyes of a fugitive who can't exactly sit down and chat with the locals.

The whole wolf pack thing was a little weird - at first, it was great with just Wolf, but then when it got to the pack, you had to wonder why only one of them would be called wolf if they were all like wolves. I know it was a ring nickname, but still. I felt like the only reason Meyer turned them into wolves was to fit in the little red riding hood theme, and I wanted something deeper than that.

That said, I did love the whole relationship with Scarlet, her grandmother and Wolf. As an alternative take on the story alone, it was fabulous, and it interworked very well with the overarching plot of the Lunars and the Queen. Kai seemed a little weaker in this book in the few scenes we saw him in, which was disappointing because you were so rooting for him earlier on. He's totally being bullied, and that's not really attractive, especially in a prince. Now it's Wolf all the way!

Looking forward to seeing what will happen next! ...in another year.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scarlet.