Scarlett Sims's Reviews > Tashi and the Tibetan Flower Cure

Tashi and the Tibetan Flower Cure by Naomi C. Rose

Feb 14, 12

bookshelves: children-s, leisure, multicultural, nook, picture-book, net-galley
Read in February, 2012

The story of a girl who uses flowers to help heal her grandfather, taken from a "Chicken Soup" book, forms the basis of this book. Although her "Popola" is at first doubtful that the cure will work in America the same way it worked in Tibet, Tashi perseveres and her Popola ends up not only in better health but with a community of people who love him.

As far as the story is concerned, it's a bit saccharine for my taste. However, I can definitely see some children enjoying it. Some of my kindergartners really enjoy learning about other cultures, and for them this book would be a real treat. The informational page at the end explains some of the words the author uses and also gives a bit of background about Tibet. I'm not sure I've ever seen another picture book that deals with Tibetan culture, so props to Lee & Low for consistently putting out books that expose kids to overlooked corners of the world.

I received this book free from NetGalley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tashi and the Tibetan Flower Cure.