Rachel's Reviews > The Dead I Know

The Dead I Know by Scot Gardner

Jun 01, 2012

bookshelves: firstreads
Read on March 31, 2012

I got this as an ARC giveaway from FirstReads, so thank you to them.

Okay, I was going to organize this review into things I liked and didn’t like, but I went to write the ‘didn’t like’ list and discovered that the things I didn’t like were also the things I loved, so bear with me while I try to articulate this.

This isn’t a very long book, just over 200 pages, but it didn’t feel very short. The plot is uncomplicated but not transparent, the characters are distinct but not simple, and the setting feels real without being overly described. One of the best things about this book was Aaron’s first person narrative. Most first-person books start with a long and self-centered/supposed-to-be-but-not-actually self depreciating monologue describing the main character and their situation, but Gardner sticks to Aaron’s quiet and introspective character and tells us almost nothing about him; we have to figure it out for ourselves. I appreciate a book that assumes that I’m intelligent enough to keep up.

Don’t be fooled by the synopsis, this isn’t a sit on the edge of your seat thriller with hushed-up murders and suspects everywhere. It’s very character driven (don’t mistake that to mean boring either, ‘cause it isn’t). Overall this is a quiet, but very interesting and quite beautiful book.

Update: I was originally going to give this 4 stars, but I've been thinking about it, and it really deserves 5.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dead I Know.