Kristina Emmons's Reviews > Little Bee

Little Bee by Chris Cleave

Feb 14, 12

Read in February, 2012

This was an unusual, complex, heart-rending story: the best kind! The blurb does not tell you what the story is actually about and if I may, it was misleading in the sense there wasn't some huge surprise waiting to grab you as the novel unfolds, but if there's anything you should know upfront it's that it's not a light-hearted read. It's written in the perspective of two women from very different worlds whose lives are connected by a "fateful" event which has severe repercussions for both. The story has the world community for a backdrop but is very personal at the same time.

As I read it I kept marvelling at how Chris Cleave (as a man) managed to get the voices of the two women just right as well as the scope of their worlds. He has a gift for taking the reader into uncomfortable territory without feeling overwhelmed by it, a gift for capturing hope. I felt the book was a masterpiece, but if I were to get very very picky (there wasn't much to pick about, in my opinion) one could say theme dominated the characters in points.

Do not read this book on an airplane on the way to a happy event. Heads up!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Bee.