Alex's Reviews > All Quiet on the Western Front

All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque

Jan 02, 2015

bookshelves: reading-through-history, 2012, rth-lifetime
Read from February 14 to 20, 2012

Hey guys, know what was a downer? World War I, that's what.

This book is miserable. It's one of the rare books - I should make a shelf for this - where sometimes I'd read for a while and then realize I was in a totally shitty mood because it had depressed the crap out of me. So that's a bummer of a book, man.

But: in my extremely scientific study of war books, comprising this, Farewell to Arms (not a war book) and Red Badge of Courage, this wins. So. Best war book ever, as long as we call Iliad a poem instead of a book? Sure, why not?

Also: written in present tense, btw. Weird, right? But done so effectively that I didn't even noticed until p. 270.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All Quiet on the Western Front.

02/23 marked as: read

message 1: by El (new) - rated it 3 stars

El Have you read Johnny Got His Gun? Best anti-war book ever, in my opinion. Since you're on a WWI kick right now, might be worth checking out if you can squeeze it in. It made quite an impression on me when I read it about ten years ago.

And it would fit very well on that miserable-book shelf you're considering creating.

Alex Gah, you're right, I do need to read that. I'd forgotten about it, but I have been vaguely planning to read it since Metallica's One video. So that was like 50 years ago?

Damn it, more dilemmas. I do not have time for this. But I sorta have to, right?

message 3: by El (new) - rated it 3 stars

El But I sorta have to, right?

Yes, when I'm in charge at least.

message 4: by Ka (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ka My Boy Jack is a film I've mentioned to you before, that would fit in well here. True story about Rudyard Kipling and his son. Not as big a downer as All Quiet, but -- it's true, WW I was the worst of all the wars.