Gabbo Parra's Reviews > Shadow on the Wall

Shadow on the Wall by Pavarti K. Tyler

Feb 25, 12

Read from February 14 to 20, 2012

Step aside, a new hero rises from the desert.

I like this new take on the rich, orphan boy turned super hero, because this one comes from a very different sphere.

With that out of the way, I have to stress other things.

It seems a little excessive the amount of foreign words, phrases and verses in this work. I understand Pavarti’s intention to immerse us in the culture. Nevertheless, in my opinion, fewer foreign terms would have helped us to be more in tune with what was happening without the constant interruption of these flow-breakers. And, yes, a glossary exists, but it’s located after two other parts of the work, and --by the time you reach there-- it kind of loses its purpose.

Since this is the first installment of a series, it’s only logical not all conflicts and mysteries are resolved. However, I feel that it took too long for Recai to recognize his call, and I never felt a strong connection with him.

With other characters, I felt a much clearer rapport. Maryam, the nurse, is an excellent example. In view of the fact that she lives in a very repressive culture, the mere fact that certain aspects of said culture seem to comfort her is interestingly believable and surprisingly refreshing.

Isik’s reasoning for being a bastard is the same used throughout the centuries by those who are truly evil at their core: They were mean to me; I’m going to be mean in return.

Darya gives a complete new meaning to the word ‘bitch’. I’m not happy with her actions --no matter her excuses-- but very satisfied with her outcome.

The moral of this work --as I see it-- is that no belief system is inherently bad, but those who exploit it, with their holier-than-thou attitude, make it abhorrent for the outsider, sending the wrong message about something that otherwise should be worthy of praise.

I received this book thanks to the RrR program from the Making Connections Group at Goodreads.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow on the Wall.